Not sure how we missed this hike before but, WOW! Bells Canyon to the first waterfall is a beauty! The trail is 4 miles round trip and the last half is mostly in the shade next to the river.
(Bells Canyon info. click here)
On our hike down we saw a snake on the side of the trail but didn't know what kind. I couldn't see the whole body. I peered over and threw a few rocks to get it off of the trail. It RATTLED and my mom and I freaked out and ran away from the snake. It slithered away and then we were nervous to walk past the area it was...we sprinted fast past that section and finished the hike down. Funny how I don't get nervous about rattle snakes until I see one. There were probably dozens of snakes in the mnts. near us but never knew it.
* The truth is many snakebites occur without a warning.
* Avoiding the snakebite from the start just seems to be the best approach. Follow these general tips: Leave snakes alone. Don't try to kill snakes. Stay on trails. Stay out of high grasses; they hide snakes really well. Wearing leather boots might prevent a few bites. Don't put your arms and legs where you can't keep track of them. Some experts say a snake can strike half its length. If you see one, double or triple that distance for a margin of safety.
IF YOU GET BIT:
IF YOU GET BIT:



No comments:
Post a Comment