Saturday, March 20, 2010

Moab 1/2 done and done

Our day started out by leaving Fruita, CO at 5:30AM. We drove to Moab, UT to pick up our chip and running packet by 7:15AM. We headed to the buses to shuttle up to the canyon. It was 30 degrees in the morning so we were all covered with layers head to toe. People were dressed in garbage bags, DI sweats, and even surgery gowns. Anything to keep warm.

We arrived up top an hour early and no lie we were in line for about that long to use the restroom. It was crazy but it did pass the time. By 10AM the race began....I knew I wasn't going to keep anyone's pace so I stuck to my own rhythm and ran my own race. I kept a 12+ minute mile for most of the race. I did have to stop for one bathroom break which killed me because there were 7 women and only one portapottie. I would've used the bushes but it wasn't number one. Sorry for the details but this is mostly for me;) (Hey running does that to anyone, right?) Anyways, during the race I ran until mile 4, used the restroom, ran to mile 6, walked until mile 7, ran until 13.1 miles unless there was a water station. I let myself walk through the water stations. I felt really good during the race. My right foot went to sleep around mile 4 and changing the laces and my stride couldn't shake the feeling. I need new shoes. My favorite part of the race was the view. The tall canyon walls engulfed the road and the river ran right along the road the whole way 1-10 miles. Breathtaking!!! The last 3 miles were along the construction roads into the finish line at a park. The finish was fun because Amy came back to find me and Krehl and Amy ran to the finish line with me. I felt good. I would do a half again. I want to improve my pace and definitely get new shoes and maybe orthodics. I actually had fun and I my body is not screaming or aching right now. Some of the people were walking and limping into the finish line. The last three miles were the miles I started passing everyone. I probably saved up too much energy. Well worth it because I feel great right now...not sure what tomorrow will bring me;)


Canyonlands Moab Half Marathon
According to chip - 2:51:30
13.1 miles
According to my Garmin my average pace was 12:36/mi
I am not going to display my placing but all I can say...I did it! For my first half I am okay with my times. There's always room for improvement. My next challenge: Highline Hustle Spring Triathlon June 12, 2010. I also would like to do a bike race or a personal bike challenge - Bike 100 miles (around Bear Lake or Utah Lake).
Side note: I had bronchitis during the race. I was coughing up a lung before, during, and especially after. We went to Zak's Pizza Factory for lunch and I think everyone in there was concerned about the germs I probably was spreading by every explosive cough. I really need new lungs. I am amazed I had enough oxygen to get through the race. Mind over body!!!

3 comments:

Tandy said...

Yay!!!! So proud of you, Val :)

Bud & Kim said...

Way to go Val! I'm proud of you.

Emily H said...

You are amazing!