Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration with 4th graders

On Tuesday I set up my computer to a projector to show my class the President's oath, speech, and other inauguration events. I was really into it and got excited about what was going on. This was the first time in my life really caring to watch the inauguration or even understanding why we have a celebrating. In a Time For Kids Magazine we read together it stated the inauguration events were for us, the citizens. A time to celebrate our choice of president.

I thought my class would spark by my interest and enthusiasm...not so much. After President Obama's speech I asked my class what they thought and what were some of his main points...they had a difficult time saying much. They picked up on education and the economy but just the words. I need to remember they are only 9 & 10. I sure like my class and I'm glad I was able to open their minds a little bit that day (hopefully). I hope during the next four years they will gain a stronger understanding of our government and gain an appreciation living in the United States. I sure am proud to be an American! I should attach Neil Diamond's "America" to this post;o)

What do you actually look at in this photo? I can only see the bald spot. Poor guy.

Great speech. I never did see the teleprompters. I thought he had memorized his speech. Now I know the truth. He still did an amazing job! Great words!

President Bush will be missed but the change will be nice!

4 comments:

Ella said...

You are such a great teacher! Even though a lot may have gone over their heads, they will remember that forever. It was a historic day, you are great for letting them be a part of it!

Krystal said...

I turned it on for my kids just because it was such a historic moment, and even though they're only 7 and can't appreciate now, I hope someday they will look back and be able to remember it... but I had the same problems with the kids not getting it or not caring. When teaching about MLK jr day I turned on a really cute 9 minute video, and as it ended, one little brat said "OH! I'm SO glad that is done" I wanted to smack her!! So ignorant.

Krystal said...

PS - I know you love David Cook, so you'll love the picture of me with him in California... I met him last week! :)

Discovery Preschool said...

Hey Val! Thanks for sharing the speech, I wasn't able to hear the whole thing so I just read it off your blog! It is really inspiring! Also, I love the picture of you that shows up when you comment on my blog! You are a hotty!