Saturday, January 7, 2012

2012 S.M.R.T. Goals

I know my 2012 goals should be S.M.A.R.T. (specific, measurable, actionable, realistic, timely) but I’m feeling more like Homer Simpson these days...
 
1. S
Spontaneity * I was going to say “do one spontaneous thing each week”, but planning spontaneity is a bit of an oxymoron. I want to say ‘yes’ to doing and trying more new things: yoga, cooking, lead climbing, traveling, dating, anything really that will add to my 2012 adventure.

2. M
Marathon * Yes, I am going to register for the St. George marathon this year. It’s a lottery and I will register in April and race in October if I am “chosen”. 2012 could be my marathon year. I've already registered to run the Utah Valley Half and the Wasatch Back Ragnar again in June.

3. R
Ride my first century * 100 miles on my road bike – Goldilocks in Herriman, UT on May 12. I will need company during my training if anyone is available…let’s ride. *My 15 lb. food baby should be gone by May (side goal...result of training).

4. T
Testimony * Strengthen my personal testimony of Christ * In 2012 I will read aloud scriptures/Ensign daily, pray on knees once a day, and attend temple 2+ a month.

5. Spend more quality time with my parents, sister, and sobrinos. My family help me correct papers, we eat dinner on Sundays, and play in CO regularly. But there's something special about walking around the neighborhood chatting, jumping on the trampoline together, and riding our bikes laughing and chatting. I need to really listen and take time to BE with my family not just be in the same room.

6. Write a GRATITUDE journal entry at least once a week * I usually journal about daily life, adventures, lists, and concerns. I need set aside my needs, desires, and wants every now and again and remember...I AM  truly BLESSED!

7. Live in the moment and be more present * Simply taking a few moments to look up from my phone and experience what’s going on, turning off my iPod (once in a while) and start to actually listen, stop trying to distract myself or pass the time and enjoy the present.

8. Put $300 in saving each month for my future car payment. Following Dave Ramsey I will be able to buy a new car with cash in...34 months. OK OK, not sure if paying in full with cash will be my thing, but at least I'll put a good amount down.

9. Go to a concert * I love live music and I only went to one concert in 2011. Loved it but I need more live music in my life!

10. Go on a sincere second date * I have gone on my fair share blind/set up dates but none of the guys have asked for a second date. I must give off the wrong first impression. I wasn't sure if I wanted to write this goal but this truly is a desire of my heart. I want someone to like me for me (not) for what I look like.

11. Write 12 handwritten notes to family & friends expressing my gratitude for their love, support, and encouragement.

12. Be happier * I want to be the best version of myself. I want to be continuously inspired, remain optimistic, keep my head high, look at the good in situations, remind myself that there’s always tomorrow, not take myself too seriously and laugh often. It’s silly to think I’m going to be happy 110% of the time…all I’m working towards is having a smile on my face more often than not and feeling good about the decisions I make.


13. Stop the Snooze button * Get up on time. When the alarm goes off, get up, and get in the shower.


“Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."
I need to learn how to use my Pinterest account. I would totally "pin" these image quotes. (goal 14)

2 comments:

Brooke said...

First of all, Pinterest is AWESOME! It takes a little getting used to but just start pinning, you'll get the hang of it.

Your goals look managable. Of course I always think mine do and I'm the queen of giving up... in February.

Anthony is running marathons now too. The Salt Lake was his first, last April and he's done 4 total at this point. He's planning to do five this year. I think he's insane but who am I? Good luck with your marathons. Sounds like... so much fun... I guess ;)

Anyway, it's been a while since I've visited and even longer since I've commented.

Thought I'd say hello.

Emily H said...

Love all of your goals! I would love to do a Marathon but the half killed me, tho I am planning to do it again.
And I am honestly shocked about the 2nd date thing, you are truly one of the most amazing people I know. Good luck with your goals you will do awesome.